Applying for Document Evaluation
- Register with the Pharmacists’ Gateway Canada to obtain your NAPRA ID number.
- Create your Portal account and review the Portal User Guide.
Application Acknowledgement – Within 6 weeks of PEBC receiving the hard copy of the Document Evaluation application, you will be informed via the Portal if all required documents have been processed or if there are still requirements to be met.
Document Evaluation – Once PEBC has received all required items and has processed all items to determine they are acceptable, candidates will be informed that their file is complete. It will then take up to 8 weeks for Document Evaluation to be completed.
Document Evaluation Results – A Document Evaluation results letter will be added to the Digital Wallet in your Portal account within one week of Document Evaluation completion.
Applying for an Examination – The exam application will appear in your Portal account within one week of a successful Document Evaluation if the applications are open for an upcoming deadline. Candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible prior to an application deadline to have enough time to pass Document Evaluation and apply for the exam.
Items to Submit to PEBC
In addition to completing the application and paying the fee in the Portal, you will need to submit the following items for your Document Evaluation to be completed:
- A properly witnessed printed application form
- A certified copy of documents to support identity
- Documents to support graduation from an acceptable pharmacy program sent directly by your college or university to PEBC
- Documents to support your international licensing status – licensing statements must be sent directly from your licensing authority
Additional documents or information may be requested in support of the application. Incorrectly submitted documents will delay the evaluation of your qualification.
How To Properly Certify a Document
- Have a copy of the original document made. Do not make a copy of a copy.
- Have each page of the document stamped and/or signed by someone with a qualification on the acceptable witness list found below. They must attest that the copy is an exact duplicate of the original. The document you send to PEBC must show the original stamps and/or signatures.
- Do not submit original documents unless you do not want them returned. PEBC does not return documents under any circumstances.
- Notary Public from anywhere in the world – Stamp/seal and signature required
- Commissioner for Oaths from anywhere in the world – Stamp/seal and signature required
- Lawyer from anywhere in the world – License number and signature required
- Embassy/Consulate Official from anywhere in the world – Stamp/seal and signature required
- Pharmacist or pharmacy technician currently licensed by a Canadian Provincial Regulatory Authority (PRA) – License number and signature required
If a required document is not written in French or English, you will need to submit either an English or French translation by following these guidelines:
- The translation must be prepared by an official, certified translator. If you are having a document translated in Canada it must be done by a translator appointed by one of the following organizations. The translator can be appointed by any of these organizations regardless of your location.
- Each page of the translation must include the original stamp and signature of your official translator.
- A copy of the original language document must be submitted with the translation and each page must include the original stamp and signature of your official translator.
- The name and credentials of your translator must appear in English or French.
- The version of the translation must be the original. Copies of translations are not accepted, even if certified.
- If you are submitting a translation of your transcript or licensing statement, the original language version you send must match the original language version sent directly to PEBC by your university or licensing authority.
Instructions for Completing the Portal Application
Once you create your account, you will find the Document Evaluation application under Applications. There are three phases for the Document Evaluation application. You must complete one phase for the next to appear.
Please provide your complete name, address, preferred language and date of birth. When entering your name make sure it appears exactly as it is on the valid, government issued identification you will be submitting to PEBC.
Address – You do not need to use your home address. Enter the address PEBC should use when mailing something to you.
Please provide your education information.
- When filling in the degree information please ensure you only include your undergraduate pharmacy degree information. PEBC only evaluates your undergraduate education credentials to determine that they are the equivalent of a four-year undergraduate pharmacy degree in Canada. PEBC does not evaluate the equivalency of your highest level of education and will not consider any post-graduate education information for Document Evaluation.
- Please include information for any education you completed that contributed to your undergraduate degree, such as a one-year pre-pharmacy program or diploma in pharmacy.
Please provide the licensing information requested.
Declaration and Terms and Conditions
Permission for Representative
Here you can indicate whether you would like to give permission for someone else to correspond with PEBC on your behalf. This only allows a representative to email PEBC to discuss your file using the email address you provide. All other correspondence and documents will be sent to you directly.
If you do not want to have a representative correspond with PEBC on your behalf, please answer the first question and skip the remaining questions.
Once you complete the profile you must pay the application fee.
- If you have funds on account with PEBC please use the 3rd Party Payment option in the fee section of the application and follow the instructions provided. If you do not have enough money on account to cover the entire exam fee, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further instructions.
- The fee is not refundable once your Document Evaluation is complete, even if you do not pass.
3. Document Evaluation Application
Application – Paper Version
Here you will find the link to the application you must print and complete to submit to PEBC. You will need to follow these steps to properly complete the paper version of the application.
- After downloading the application, you can fill in the application form before printing or fill it in with pen by hand after printing.
- Enter your name on your application exactly as it appears on the identification and other documents.
- Fill out the other information requested.
- Attach a passport-acceptable photo to the application that was taken within the past year. The photo cannot be a photocopy or have been altered in any way. It must meet the specifications provided on the application.
- You will need to have your application properly certified. See the Acceptable Witnesses section above for complete instructions.
- While with your witness:
- Sign the application in the space provided
- Have your witness complete the ‘Witness Declaration’ section
- Have your witness sign/stamp the photo as indicated on the application
- Once you have completed the application, send it and accompanying documents, with tracking, to PEBC.
- In the Portal “Application – Paper Version” step, confirm that you will courier your completed Pharmacist Document Evaluation paper application to PEBC.
Please note: The “Application – Paper version received” step will be completed by PEBC.
You will need to submit identification and a scanned photo for PEBC to verify your identity. You will need to upload your photo, but you must send the witnessed paper copy of your ID to PEBC with the paper version of your application.
PEBC requires a properly certified copy of one of the following showing your name exactly as it appears on your application and other documents:
- Your valid (unexpired) passport
- Your birth certificate
- Both sides of your Canadian Citizenship Card (only if it shows all names, including middle names)
* Do not submit your Permanent Resident Card as primary identification.
PEBC requires a properly certified copy of one of the following for each name change:
- Your marriage certificate
- Your change of name certificate
If you have been married more than once, you will need to submit marriage or divorce papers for each marriage. Each document must show your surname before and after the marriage so we can track your names from one document to the next.
These are acceptable reasons for not being able to meet the requirements detailed above:
- None of these documents were ever issued to you and cannot be issued
- You no longer have any of these documents and they cannot be reissued
- Your primary ID does not show your full, legal name as it appears on your application
- If your name on your ID is spelled differently than on your application
- The names on your degree, transcript or licensing statement are different than your name on your ID
If you are unable to submit required documents due to any of the reasons listed you will need to make a statutory declaration before a Notary Public, Commissioner for Oaths, or lawyer. You must submit the original statutory declaration and it must state:
- The official name as it appears on your application and other documents
- Your date of birth
- The reason you must submit a statutory declaration instead of meeting the primary ID requirements
To support the statutory declaration, you will need to submit certified copies of two pieces of valid, government issued ID, such as a driver’s license or health card. These pieces of ID must show your date of birth and your name exactly as it appears in your statutory declaration.
You must ensure the photo you upload meets these requirements or it will be rejected and will slow down your application process.
- It must be the same passport acceptable photo that you glued to the hard copy of your application
- Taken within one year of submission of your application
- Have the extension .jpg
- Be less than 200 Kb in size
- Be 400 x 600 pixels minimum and 600 x 800 maximum
- Scanned at 300 dpi
- Cropped so there is no extra space around the perimeter of your photo, except for photo border
- It cannot be part of a scan of an identification document
- Do not upload more than one photo.
In the Portal “Identification Verification – Documentation” step, confirm that you will send your identification documents to PEBC with your application.
Please confirm in the Portal application that you have reviewed and confirmed the education information you entered for your profile and have made any necessary changes.
University Degree Certificate
If your transcript, or a letter attached to your transcript, states that your degree has been conferred, you do not need to submit your degree certificate.
If that statement is not included in your transcript please submit a properly certified copy of your degree certificate, or an equivalent document.
PEBC requires your university transcript for your undergraduate degree program.
- It must contain a list of all courses in your degree program with corresponding grades.
- If your university cannot send an original transcript they can provide a photocopy, but each page must be stamped by your university and signed by a university official.
- The issue date must be within one month of the date PEBC receives it.
- If you have a Diploma in Pharmacy or another degree that contributed to your undergraduate pharmacy degree you must also have the transcript for that program sent directly to PEBC by the issuing institution.
- Your transcript(s) must be sent to PEBC directly from your university or affiliated college by courier or email.
- If your transcript is sent by courier, it is recommended that you request tracking.
- If your university or college will not send it themselves, you may have a courier pick up your transcript directly from the university or college and deliver it to PEBC. The university must be indicated as the sender.
- PEBC will not accept your transcript if it has been given to you or anyone else first, or if documents that are not from your university are sent with it.
- Your transcript will not be accepted if it is sent with your application.
- If you attended a German university PEBC requires certified copies of the certificates of all three stages issued by the university, as well as a certified copy of the pharmaceutical examination certificate with the attached original, official translations.
- You can request that your transcript be emailed to email@example.com.
- Your document will not be accepted if it is not emailed directly by the university or an affiliated college.
- PEBC reserves the right to conduct source verification of your transcript by directly contacting the issuing authority.
If the university where you obtained your degree has not already been approved by PEBC you will be asked to submit an official university syllabus.
- It needs to be from the year you graduated.
- Every course from your pharmacy program must be represented by the course title and a description of the course content.
- It does not need to be certified.
- Your program will need to be approved by PEBC before you can proceed with Document Evaluation. Additional documents or information may be requested to complete program approval. Program approval may take up to a month.
- You can mail or email your syllabus to PEBC yourself.
Application Step Acknowledgement
Confirm in the Portal application that you will submit all documents required for education verification.
If you are currently licensed:
PEBC requires a licensing statement from all licensing authorities you have been licensed by.
- It must state that you “are currently licensed” and indicate whether you are in good standing.
- A licensing statement is a letter stating you are currently licensed and provides details of your current standing.
- The issue date of your licensing statement must be within one month of the date it is received by PEBC.
- Licensing statements expire 6 months after their issue date. If your Document Evaluation is not complete in six months you will need to submit a new, currently dated licensing statement.
If you have been licensed in the past but are not currently licensed:
1. Submit a statutory declaration made before a Notary Public, Commissioner for Oaths, lawyer or embassy/consulate official.
- It must include the sentence “I am not currently licensed anywhere in the world.” and provide a brief explanation of why you are not currently licensed.
- It must state the country and name of the licensing authority you were licensed by.
- It must state whether your license was ever suspended or revoked and whether you were ever the subject of any disciplinary proceedings.
- Send the document by courier yourself.
- Only submit the original document. A copy will not be accepted.
2. Have all licensing authorities you were licensed by send PEBC a statement indicating your standing while licensed by them.
- It must state that you were previously licensed by the licensing authority and include whether or not you were in good standing during that time.
- The issue date of your licensing statement(s) must be within one month of the date it is received by PEBC.
- Licensing statements expire 6 months after their issue date. If your Document Evaluation is not complete in six months you will need to submit a new, currently dated licensing statement.
If you have never been licensed:
Submit a statutory declaration made before a Notary Public, Commissioner for Oaths, a lawyer or embassy/consulate official.
- It must include the sentence “I have never been licensed anywhere in the world.” and provide a brief explanation of why you have never been licensed.
- You can send this statutory declaration with your application.
- PEBC will not accept a copy. Please be sure to send the original statutory declaration.
Instructions for having your licensing statement(s) sent by courier:
- It is recommended that your licensing authority send your licensing statement by courier with tracking.
- If your licensing authority will not send your licensing statement themselves, you may have a courier pick up your licensing statement directly from the issuing authority and deliver it to PEBC. The licensing authority must be indicated as the sender on the courier waybill.
- PEBC will not accept a licensing statement if it has been given to you or anyone else first, or if documents that are not from your licensing authority are sent with it.
- Your licensing statement will not be accepted if it is sent with your application.
Instructions for having your licensing statement(s) sent by email:
- You can request that your licensing statement be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your document will not be accepted if it is not emailed directly by the licensing authority.
PEBC reserves the right to conduct source verification of your licensing statement by directly contacting the issuing authority.
Confirmation that documents will be sent
Confirm in the Portal application that the required licensing documents will be sent to PEBC.
The documents that must be mailed to PEBC should be sent by courier, with tracking, to the address found on the Contact Us page.
This step of the Document Evaluation application will be completed by PEBC.
Document Evaluation Results and Next Steps
Once your Document Evaluation is complete, a results letter will be added to the Digital Wallet in your Portal account within 5 business days.
If you pass Document Evaluation, the exam application and ECA Report application will appear in your Portal account under Credentials within one week of your Document Evaluation approval.
- Always include your PEBC ID number in any correspondence with PEBC. Your PEBC ID is provided in your Portal account.
- Allow 2 business days for a response to any inquiry you make before contacting the office about the same matter again.
- Keep your Portal account updated with any changes to your contact information – address, telephone number and email address – by logging into your account and making the changes in your Portal profile.
- PEBC will primarily communicate by email. Be sure to check your email regularly and make sure your email settings will allow PEBC emails to reach your inbox.
- PEBC does not acknowledge receipt of any documents until your Document Evaluation application and fee are received. If you wish to know the delivery status of a document, please check with your courier.
Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for Canadian Immigration Programs
The Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC) has been designated by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada to provide Educational Credential Assessments (ECA) for Principal Applicants applying under the “Express Entry for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) and Canadian Experience Class” for immigration to Canada and for whom Pharmacist would be the primary occupation. Please see the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for more information.
Please check www.jobbank.gc.ca to learn more about the job market outlook for your occupation in the specific region where you plan to settle. This is critical as there is NOT a shortage of pharmacists in urban centres across Canada.
If you plan to work as a pharmacist in Canada, please review the information on this website regarding PEBC certification and licensing by Provincial Regulatory Authorities.
PEBC Requirements for an ECA Report
You must pass Document Evaluation before you will have access to the ECA Report application. Your Document Evaluation will determine whether your undergraduate degree is the equivalent of the basic education requirement to practice as a pharmacist in Canada – a 4-year, Bachelor of Pharmacy degree. PEBC does not assess the equivalency of your highest level of education.
Applying for the ECA Report
Once your Document Evaluation has been approved the ECA Report application will be added to your Portal account within 5 business days. It is an optional application that you can ignore if you do not require an ECA Report for IRCC.
The application contains two phases. You must complete the first phase before the second phase will be made available to you.
1. ECA Report Application
Read the Terms and Conditions provided in the application and then provide your confirmation as indicated.
2. ECA Report Fee
The fee for each ECA Report is a non-refundable fee.
Steps Following Completion of Application
Once you have completed the application and your fee has been approved, a PDF of your ECA Report will be uploaded to your Digital Wallet within 5 business days, unless there are issues with your application.
It is your responsibility to submit the ECA Report to IRCC. IRCC will then verify the authenticity of your report with PEBC.
ECA Report Expiry
Your ECA Report will expire 5 years from the date of issue on your report. Once your ECA Report expires you can apply for a new one using the same process and paying the applicable fee.