Requests for Exam Accommodations
You may submit a request for exam accommodations if you experience permanent or temporary functional limitation(s) due to a physical impairment, medical issue or other disability which substantially limits one or more major life activities. Requests for exam accommodations are also considered for pregnancy, breastfeeding, issues relating to creed, need for assistive devices (e.g. hearing aids, wheelchair, etc.) and other reasons.
To request exam accommodations, follow these steps:
- You must submit a Request for Exam Accommodations form and Health Professional Assessment and Recommendations form (if needed for medical issues).
- Complete electronically and sign the Request for Exam Accommodations form. For medical issues, have the health professional overseeing your care complete and sign the Health Professional Assessment and Recommendations form. PEBC does not require a diagnosis to consider the request.
- Gather other supporting documentation as needed.
- Send both forms to PEBC via post, email or fax (details are given on each form).
- The deadline to request exam accommodations is the same day as the online application submission deadline. PEBC must receive both forms and supporting documentation before the deadline. Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as early as possible.
- After the online application submission deadline, PEBC reviews all requests for exam accommodations.
- When necessary, PEBC may require an independent medical or other assessment of your functional limitation(s) and requested exam accommodations. PEBC may require further information from you and/or the medical professional overseeing your care. It is your responsibility to participate in the process of supplying sufficient supporting evidence and meeting deadlines.
- Changes to PEBC exam content, rules of conduct, policies and procedures are not accommodated.
- If deemed appropriate, PEBC provides reasonable exam accommodations. PEBC emails you an agreement letter to sign, agreeing to the offered exam accommodations. After you finish a PEBC examination, PEBC does not consider complaints or appeals based on an assertion that the accommodations listed in the agreement letter were not appropriate.
- If you wish for PEBC to re-consider the offered exam accommodations, you may petition for reconsideration of the decision according to PEBC’s Process for Complaints, Concerns and Appeals
- PEBC reserves the right to assign you to an exam centre where the exam accommodations are available, as certain exam accommodations may not be available at some centres. This may require you to accept assignment to a centre other than your preferred centre choice(s) and incur all costs related to travel.
- Since arrangements for some accommodations may have significant cost and other resource implications, you are bound to the conditions listed in the signed agreement letter.
- You must submit a new Request for Exam Accommodations form each time you apply for a PEBC examination. You may need to submit new or updated supporting documentation.
- Exam accommodations are granted to allow you equal access to PEBC examinations when your ability to participate under standard conditions is impacted by any of the above.
- PEBC considers each request individually, based on the information you submit.
- Exam accommodations granted in academic settings may not be appropriate for PEBC examinations and you should not expect PEBC to grant the same exam accommodations automatically.
- Requests for exam accommodations relating strictly to exam day test anxiety are not considered.
- All exam accommodation requests are confidential and subject to review and approval.
- Candidates are strongly encouraged not to attempt an examination and to withdraw if, prior to the exam, they are ill or have other extraordinary personal circumstances, e.g. bereavement, recent physical injury, etc. that may affect their exam performance.
Emergency Requests after the Online Submission Deadline
If you experience a new medical issue such as an injury or other emergency situation after the online submission deadline and request for exam accommodations, you may make an emergency request for medical/assistive/mobility devices or other accommodations by submitting:
- a Request for Exam Accommodations form as early as possible before exam day
- for medical issues, documentation that verifies the medical issue and the need for a medical/assistive/mobility device or other accommodation
- for other issues, supporting documentation where required
If approved, PEBC will attempt to make appropriate arrangements with the exam centre. If PEBC is unable to make arrangements before exam day, you may attempt the examination without exam accommodations or withdraw.
Requests such as additional time, a separate room, etc. are difficult to accommodate after the exam application deadline even for new or emergency situations.
Requests on Examination Day
The examination process cannot be interrupted. Last-minute requests for exam accommodations or individual arrangements, made at an exam centre on exam day, will not be accommodated.